The main objective of the project is to develop a stronger financial sector infrastructure by managing FINSACs investments in the insurance sector, strengthening insurance supervision, and establishing the regulation of pension funds.
The underlying aim of the project is to maximise the extent to which the insurance and pension sectors will provide for the long term insurance and investment needs of the Jamaican public while maintaining appropriate standards of solvency and market conduct. It is necessary to ensure that insurance and pension regulation and supervision is effective, reflects the reality of the current marketplace and protects pension investments and policyholders.
This project is jointly funded by FINSAC and the Inter American Development Bank (IADB).
1. Investment Management
Establish a unit to
monitor FINSAC holdings in the Insurance Sector
· Monitor the adherence of the Insurance Companies to their rehabilitation plans
2. Insurance Supervision
· Redraft Insurance Act
· Design financial statements and periodic forms for the Insurance Companies
· Develop a computerised early warning system to identify problems in time to take action to correct them
· Develop computerised insurance supervision information system, Jamaica Insurance Regulatory Information System (JIRIS)
· Develop procedures and examination manuals
· Develop a plan for staff development and rationalisation of OSI
· Train OSI staff to understand the risks associated with insurance regulation, to perform on-site examinations and to monitor compliance with established performance benchmarks
· Develop a plan of action to put insurance supervision on a self-financing basis with fees from industry covering the costs of regulation
3. Private Pension Funds
· Develop legislation regulating private pension funds in Jamaica
The Office of Superintendent and Insurance is a division of the Ministry of Finance and Planning , who monitors and regulates the Insurance Industry and Unit Trust Schemes by:-
Technical Problems, Comments, Questions? E-mail Webmaster